Tuesday, November 20, 2018

Shop Local: Raymond Hood's Wood Carving, Engraving, and Etching

Raymond Hood and his sweet family, Rebecca, JJ, and Joshua.
What is your favorite Christmas memory?
Most recently, this past Christmas, when we got JJ (our oldest son) an electric motorcycle. He was so excited about it and riding it all around the yard. Then we realized Santa had left a gift for him in my workshop! It was a set of drums that JJ went over the moon about! We have a video of his reaction when he saw the drums for the first time and it was priceless!


Tell me a little about yourself and your business.
My name is Raymond Hood. I will be 42 years young this coming February. I am very happily married to my best friend, Rebecca Akins Hood. We have two boys: Jeremiah is 7 years old, and Joshua is 4 months. I love to hunt and be in the outdoors whenever I have the opportunity. I got into wood carving about 4 or 5 years ago because I really enjoy working on and with wood. It is very warm and inviting to have a beautiful piece of wood in your hands: be it rough sawn wood, a newly carved and refinished gun stock/grips, a clock, or a simple step stool. To me there is nothing more beautiful from nature than to see and experience wood and its natural grain and color. I get so much enjoyment from working with the different varieties of species, and seeing the challenges that each brings.



What services do you offer?
I do hand-wood carving, engraving, and refinishing of gun stocks. These can be memories of a favorite hunt or favored game to hunt. The carving/engraving can be done as a tribute or memorial. Each one is personal to the piece and are one of a kind crafted items. I have air driven tools for the carving and engraving that I do by hand. There are no computer controlled carving machines or laser carvings on my work. Also, I do etching on glass and metal.



In speaking of your business what is something you would suggest for someone who doesn’t know what to buy their loved one?
I would be interested in what they are passionate about and go from there. If you can find what someone is passionate about, you can get them anything related to that and they will be happy. But then having it personalized, so that it is truly unique to them, makes it all the more exciting.



What’s the best way to contact you?
Phone/Text or Email 352-339-1297 or raymond.c.hood@gmail.com




No comments:

Post a Comment