Sunday, June 4, 2017

Sunday Obsessions: Local Bookstores

I know you probably realize this about me…but Lord do I ever love a bookstore. And while I surely can appreciate a Barnes and Noble or Books A Million, one of my most favorite things would have to be an independently owned bookstore. A local bookstore. I love them.

In some of my travels, I have come across some really nice ones, and I want to share those today. If ever you’re in the area, stop by.

Found on the squarebooks.com website
Oxford, Mississippi: Square Books, Off the Square Books, and Square Books Jr.

Square Books has to be one of the coolest bookstores I’ve been to in a LONG time. I believe it’s either two or three stories; has a plethora of autographed books; and has an incredible collection of books on the area, and books written by Mississippi-born authors. I could have easily spent half a day just perusing and taking it all in. 

Off the Square Books: A quirky little place, that is literally RIGHT off the Square in Oxford. It has a ton of used books that have been loved and taken care of.

Square Books Jr.: On the Square, in Oxford. It’s a bookstore that serves babies, children, and teens. 

For more information on these three bookstores, check out: http://www.squarebooks.com/

Fernandina Beach, FL: The Book Loft

What is better than a haunted bookstore? The resident ghost, Catherine, lives upstairs. The laid-back feel of this bookstore was what won me over. Walking in, seeing the section of local authors and books on Amelia Island, just made me feel at home. You can find them at: http://thebookloftamelia.com/

Apalachicola, FL: Downtown Books & Purl

When I walked into this bookstore a few years ago, I had two things on my mind…a local cookbook, and some children’s books for my Journal babies. Both were easily found. They had a nice little selection of children’s books, and I found just what I needed for Allie and Gus. They also had a very neat book from a Food Columnist that talked about seafood…a perfect birthday gift for Mrs. Cindy Jo, a food columnist herself. For more information: http://downtownbooksandpurl.com/

Port St. Joe, FL: No Name Café

If ever you find yourself in the main strip in Port St. Joe, this place is not to be missed. It has a nice little coffee shop in side, and wide variety of both local and bestsellers list. If my memory serves me right, it also has some used books as well. It’s a very neat little store. 

For more information on them: https://www.facebook.com/nonamecafepsj/

No comments:

Post a Comment