Monday, June 26, 2017

Mama Says Monday: Getting Old Sucks...

Photo Credit: Google Images
Getting old surely sucks. Everything starts to fail you. I had another reminder this afternoon. As I was in the sewing room, trying to make a couple of adjustments to two pair of capris for me and a blouse for Aleta, I begin to realize that my eyesight wasn’t what it use to be. The actual adjustments shouldn’t have taken 30 minutes, but…I had to change the color of my thread three times. Threading the needle is getting next to impossible. When your eye can’t see the eye of the needle, it’s probably time to visit the doctor and get a new pair of spectacles. “Don’t bother with the exam, Doc. I think I need the super-duper extra thick magnifier ones!!” Hmmm, wonder if they can just put magnifying glasses in a pair of frames to hang on my nose? At any rate, being nearly blind takes all the fun out of sewing. Not only was it hard to thread my machine, I also broke a needle and had to replace it, which meant removing a very tiny screw which holds in the needle. I promptly dropped the screw on the floor and had to have Aleta come find it. After replacing the needle, guess what? Another rethread!! Four hours later, I have those three items done. I still have a couple of pants to hem, but I gave it up after 4 hours. Getting old is not for wimps.

And then Aleta reminds me of our plans for Monday afternoon. “Glad you reminded me, I had already forgotten.” Aleta laughs and tells me that’s why I keep her around. I guess my memory is going as fast as my eyesight!

No comments:

Post a Comment