Monday, June 12, 2017

Mama Says Monday

Aleta's Key Lime Trifle

I come from a long line of chocolate lovers on my mother’s side. Growing up, if my grandmother cooked something sweet, 90% of the time it was gonna be chocolate. My uncle once upset Grandma when she made a pound cake. He informed her that he didn’t think she knew how to make anything that wasn’t chocolate.

I started baking at home when I was 9 years old. Back then, we didn’t buy a lot of cookies or sweets, they were homemade. Two of the family favorites were Mexican Crinkles and No-Bake Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies. The Mexican Crinkle cookies were crisp chocolate cookies that contained cinnamon. The no-bake cookies are my brother’s favorite to this day. Rheba still calls them “Uncle Gregg’s favorite cookies.” And then there was chocolate cake, or if you made a yellow cake, it at least had to have chocolate frosting. Every once in a while, my mother would make a coconut pie to appease my father. And because we had pecan trees, she would make pecan pies, which are not my favorite. But if my mother had her way, most of the desserts that I made were chocolate. I sort of got burnt out on chocolate.

When I went to college, I lived with my friend’s aunt. She introduced me to a whole new array of flavors. I loved her lemon meringue. I fell in love with the sweet tartness of lemon desserts. Lemon became my favorite flavor. And then I discovered Key Lime Pie. Two favorite tart flavors.
Aleta shares my love of lemon. We even have a recipe for Lemon Linguini. Rheba does not share our love of lemon. However, we all like key lime. I sometimes make Key Lime Pie, Aleta makes Key Lime Cupcakes with raspberry filling. She also makes a Key Lime Trifle, which is quite tasty.

Recently, Rheba had key lime donuts at a friend’s house. She told me that I needed to find them and buy them. Then, at work, Chris Rogers had to share his bag of key lime donuts. And then I found them at Walmart. Heaven help us. They are good.

Last year I discovered that Oreo made Lemon Thin Oreos. I have tried to avoid that area in Walmart for a while now. So tonight, I purchased my usual bologna for my dog treats and then went down the cookie aisle to see if they had cheap oatmeal cookies. (Another of my dogs’ favorites, no wonder they are chubby.) Well guess what I spotted?? Twist & Shout (Oreo Knock-offs) has a key lime flavor. Had to buy them. They are good. Key Lime must be the flavor of this summer. Oh Lawdy!!(borrowed that term from James Comey)

Well, I guess it’s time my dogs go on a diet anyway. Since I now really must avoid the cookie aisle, they will no longer get Cheezits or oatmeal cookies. They are just thankful that cheese and bologna aren’t found on the cookie aisle.

Until next week,
Cynthia Kay

No comments:

Post a Comment