Thursday, June 15, 2017

Junkin' with Cynthia Kay and "Jo Curls"

Y'all, I've been strugglin' lately.  I think I'm just caught in the Summer in-betweens.  It's past Memorial Day, not quite Fourth of July.  Not quite time for my vacation.  I've got a case of the in-between blues.

So, the week before last, when I was REALLY struggling, I sent my boss an email requesting a day off.  I needed something to look forward to.  I told my mom, "We need to plan something."  So we started planning a "junkin'" trip.  Nothing major.  Mom had told me that Mrs. Jo Carol had been gunnin' to go with us on one of our little trips, so I knew she would add to the fun.  (Side note:  My sister used to refer to her as "Mrs. Jo Curls," so I still want to call her that).

We left and headed on our way towards Crystal River.  Upon finding out that Cynthia Kay had never been in the Rural King, we were on a mission to make that happen.  Let me just say here, my mom was impressed at the sheer amount of stuff at the Rural King.

After Rural King, we headed towards Inverness.  We went to the Square, and went in the bookstore where I found one of my Joanne Fluke books.  We went into a few little shops along the square.  This was actually a very neat little area, I may make another trip back there soon.

The Hernando Farmer's Market
 Then, we set our sights on Dunnellon.  On the way, we stopped at a Farmer's Market.

The Front Porch in Dunnellon
We went to "The Front Porch" for lunch.  Y'all, if you're looking for some down-home cookin', this little place is where you will find it.  I had fried chicken, mashed potatoes and zipper peas.  Then, the piece de resistance was the pie.  Y'all.....the pie was incredible.  I got lemon meringue (as did Mom and Jo Curls), it was out of this world.  I now fully understand the term "mile-high meringue."  The pie was reminiscent of "Grandma" Merle's in Carrabelle.  If you are ever in the area, you be sure to stop by.

The pie was to die for...
Then, we went into Dunnellon.  Now, we went into several little shops, and I can't even begin to remember the names.

I did not buy this, but y'all know my affection for an old typewriter.

Mom found herself a juicer.
But I think I was the lucky winner of the day...I wound up buying:  a glass trifle bowl (finding nice glass bowls at thrift stores for cheap is so nice, because I never feel bad about letting those go at the cake auction), I found a set of three old Pyrex bowls (Mrs. Jo Carol, got them down to $15 for me), a beautiful scarf for pictures next month, a birthday card for my best friend (...not from a thrift store.  Lol.  But even though her birthday is in January, the card was perfect...yes, I am that person.  I've already gotten half of her gift already), and...this stuff.  I had bought some previously in Warm Springs, GA, and fell slap in love with the stuff.  It is incredible on toast or a waffle.

This "Stuff" is incredible.  I've had it before, but I was on cloud nine upon finding it again.
Overall, it was such a wonderful, pretty day.  I had the very best time with these ladies!  It was exactly what I needed!

Mrs. Jo Carol and Cynthia Kay

1 comment:

  1. Lol I immediately thought "birthday card... for me?" Dunellon downtown seems so cool! The stuff sounds really neat!

    ReplyDelete