Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Local Spotlight: C. Hill Photography

So, a few years ago, I started seeing some beautiful photos begin popping up on my Facebook newsfeed. I started seeing more and more of this "C. Hill Photography." And the images were just incredible. I was so excited to learn she and I had a good, mutual friend in common. At that moment, I just knew I needed her on my blog!  What great artists we have in our little area!

Candice Hildebrandt of C. Hill Photography
Tell me a little bit about yourself and your business:

I am a 30-something mother of 3 boys, who’s been married for 17 years to my high school sweetheart. I have been a stay-at-home mom since my first son was born. My passion has pretty much always been the arts, particularly photography. Even as a teen, I was always taking pictures. In our early marriage years, my husband gifted me a camera upgrade just about every Christmas. When the boys came along it was more than art, I began to have this need to document every moment I spent with them. I would even take them every 3 months or so to the local JC Pennys or Sears to have images taken. One time in particular, the photographer asked why I wanted a specific picture if my son wasn’t smiling. I replied “I may be an awful Mom, but he doesn’t walk around with a cheese grin plastered to his face 100% of the time. I want to remember him for who he is in this moment too.”

That’s around the time I decided it was up to me to get those “in between” moments. Honestly, it was a nudge from my husband that prompted the whole business thing. He thought I should do this for others. I picked out my first DSLR and taught myself how to use it. That was in 2010. Since then, my passion for photography has morphed into a passion for memory preservation. I love documenting families and the ever-changing emotions of children. I’m still a sucker for those “in between” moments too.

What are the perks of owning your own business?

Being able to create my own schedule it definitely a good one. But that only came after the early years. One of my faves though, all the traveling I have been blessed to be able to do.

What are some of the downfalls to owning your own business?

The hustle and bustle definitely takes its toll. Also, I’m an artist… I’m not a great bookkeeper, or marketer or even a great decision maker LOL! But I think I’ve made it work!

Have you always been drawn to photography?

I have always loved looking at pictures and deciphering motivation. When I was a teen, I had a camera in my hand at all times, if I could help it.

What inspires you?

Life. We are all on such an incredible journey.

As a photographer, what is something you wish more folks understood?


My expensive camera is only as good as the person behind it.

What are some things you are looking forward to in the future?

I am looking forward to focusing more on families. Weddings, while beautiful, have become a tad too commercial for my taste.

Where can you find her?

Website: http://photographybychill.com
Email: candice@photographybychill.com
The book of faces : https://www.facebook.com/photographybychill/
Instagram: @candiceeh
Twitter: @chill_photog

No comments:

Post a Comment