Friday, March 3, 2017

North Carolina/South Carolina Trip Part 1: Trains, Andy Griffith, and a Castle

The Sheffield Girls
I haven’t done a travel post in quite a while, so I’m going to go back and tell about one of my favorite trips.  But I’m going to have to break it into parts, because we zig-zagged all over the state of North Carolina. 

Us Sheffield girls have a quirky sense of travel plans.  We often plan (Okay, typically I do the planning) our trips around quirky things we’d like to see.  We’ve visited random things like The F. Scott and Zelda Fitzgerald museum in Montgomery, AL; Monroeville, AL (Where Harper Lee and Truman Capote once lived…this author may or may not have stolen a rock from the rock wall that separated their yards); we’ve visited the cemetery where Memorial Day was started (Columbus, Mississippi), and the cemetery where Hank Williams and his wife were buried.  Some of our trips, while significant to us, might not be found on the 100 places you should visit before you die.
But the Sheffield girls?  Well, we LOVE to travel.  And while there are some pitfalls to the single life, I count myself very fortunate to be able to spend this time and travel with my mom and sister.  Many of my friends do not have this opportunity, and I just consider this precious time.

So, like I said, the trip I’m going to begin telling you about today is our December 2015 North Carolina trip.   I can’t remember what Cynthia Kay had seen to trigger her desire to see the Lighthouses in the Outer Banks, but I remember her coming home one day and saying “Aleta, I think I know where I want to go next…”  Mama, like my Granny Doris, has always liked a lighthouse.  So the planning began. 

But, in all Aleta fashion, I figured if we were already doing that much driving, why not take in a few of the other sights in North Carolina, right? 


Me, Cynthia Kay, and Rheba at the Polar Express
 Something else, Cynthia Kay had once mentioned was that she’d never ridden on a train and had always wanted to.  Thanks to my trusty friend Google, I found the Great Smoky Mountain Railroad.  While, they have several different themed “excursions,” because we were going in December, Polar Express it was.  (Which was okay, because the Sheffield girls love all things Christmas).  Well, y’all, I schemed and I planned.  And I got the tickets and ordered us each some pajamas (which are a must for the Polar Express train ride); I had Chris make Rheba and Mom up a “golden ticket.”  And the morning we were leaving for Bryson City, I surprised them with it. 


Santa and the Train Depot at Bryson City
Now, I will tell you that the Polar Express very obviously is geared towards kids, but we still had a great time. 
After Bryson City, we set our sights on Mt. Airy. 


Andy Griffith's birthplace
Let me clue you in on a little fact about the Sheffield household.  We LOVE some Andy Griffith.  Whether it be the Andy Griffith Show or Matlock, we love some Andy Griffith.  My dad watched it on TV Land every night.  One night he said “I sure do wish they’d put on some new episodes.”  Y’all, I rolled.  They hadn’t aired a “new” episode of Andy Griffith in about 40+ years at that point.  But there are many nights I fall asleep to an episode of Matlock.  There’s just something soothing about it to me.  So, I say all that to say…we are FANS.


Wally's Service Station
The Mayberry Courthouse replica
Getting to see the town where Andy Griffith grew up was a treat.  We stayed at the Mayberry Motor Inn, which isn’t the ritziest hotel around, but is super cute.  We then went to the Mayberry Courthouse replica, took pictures at Wally’s, and went on a squad car tour (which was SO much fun!  If ever you’re in the area, do it.  You may feel silly, but it’s a blast).  Later, we went to the Andy Griffith Museum.  You could’ve walked around that place for hours, there was so much stuff to look at.


Squad Car Tour
--My one complaint would be that you aren’t able to take you camera in the museum.  Which I understand…but it’s just kind of lame.--



The following day, as we started our trek across the state, we stopped in Chapel Hill.  One of my picks.  Why?  To see the Gimghoul Castle at Chapel Hill.  Honestly, had we had a day longer in our trip, I would’ve loved to have stayed and explored Chapel Hill a little more.  The campus there is exquisite.  Trees line the road, and it is beautiful. 


Gimghoul Castle
Next week, sometime, I will tell you all about our jaunt through the Outer Banks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment