Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Mama Says Monday…on Tuesday: Pampering, Pedicures and Karter Lee

Karter Lee


In the last few years, one of my indulgences has been a pedicure. My ingrown toenails are taken care of, I get a little pampering, and my little piggies look great! It's a win-win and totally worth my extravagance. All of this to say, in our household of females, even the dog gets a toenail treatment.

Karter Lee is our very laid-back, lazy Chocolate Lab. At home, you can be assured that Karter Lee's main objective in life is to lay crossways whatever path you want to take in the house. She lays across the hallway, across the doorway between the living room and dining room…Anywhere to make me step over her. And the command "Move, Karter!" means absolutely nothing. In fact, one would think that we own a deaf dog. We can let her out to potty, and she loiters about the yard, ignoring all our please to "Hurry, Karter!" or "Come on, Karter!" All the neighbors for miles around can hear us calling, but she walks around like she doesn't hear you. (She acts a lot like my kids, now that I think about it). I think it's called "selective hearing." I know that there is absolutely nothing wrong with her hearing because she can be in the back bedroom and I can whisper the word "cheese" and she will come running, stand at the refrigerator door and look at me expectantly.

Any way, back to Karter's pedicures…They only involve having them clip her nails at the vet's office. Now, one of Karter Lee's hangups is her feet. She could live the rest of her life with no one touching them. She hates having anyone messing with her feet, and always has. She is not bad, doesn't bite, but she will snatch her feet away from you in a flash.

Karter Lee's trip to the vet has to be carefully planned. Aleta and I have to coordinate our schedules, make sure both of us will be available. She will then call and schedule it--generally for a Friday--but always at 5 p.m. It has to be late, so most of their other clients are gone. Did I mention that Karter is a very laid-back dog? That holds true for everything but a trip to the Vet's office. Aleta and I have to trade cars, because I don't like Karter shedding in my car. I drive Karter from the house to the Vet's office and Aleta meets us there. All the way, Karter is breathing down my neck, getting excited in the back. She just knows she is going to the vet. Once at the office, Karter and I stay in the car, and Aleta goes in to alert them that we are there. We do not just march inside with the Karter Lee. Once we go inside those doors, our laid-back dog goes sprayed-roach crazy. Again, not mean, just into a crazy hyper mode, dragging us on her leash all around the room, darting everywhere, checking out everything. This includes any other animals and their owners, trying to make new friends. Unfortunately, her out-of-control behavior scares other owners, who grab their animals protectively, especially the cats. It would be funny, because Karter loves cats and never acts aggressively towards them. But when someone sees an 85 pound dog, dragging her owner, coming at them…naturally, it upsets them. So, we have learned to reamin in the car, so we don't scare anyone.

The Vet Tech comes out for us when they have a room ready. We hurry through the door, over to the scale (Karter is really proud of her 85 lbs), and then quickly into the room.

At this point, most of my involvement is over. In comes two Vet Techs. Have I mentioned 85 lbs of super hyper canine energy? Aleta is on the floor, holding down the dog. One Vet Tech is holding a leg, and the other Tech has a foot and the nail clippers. And the wrestling match begins. On one hand, you have 85 lbs of twisting, turning, leg-jerking animal, and on the other you have 3 very determined women. I must say, it is more fun to watch than to participate. Those Vet Techs are wonderful! They know Karter Lee's craziness, and seem to love her anyway.

Once the wrestling match is over (Four feet means 4 times the fun!) Aleta will rush her back out to the car, and Karter Lee heads home.

Aleta and I are ready to get home, climb into our pajamas, and call it quits! We have had our workout for the week. Did I mention that we try to schedule this for Friday afternoon? That way, we have the whole weekend to recover!!

God bless those Vet Techs! I asked them if they had any other dogs that were as wild as Karter Lee. One of them said "Oh yes. In fact, we have to sedate my dog in order to clip her nails!" I think the joke is on us! Who knew that was even an option??


Until next week,
Cynthia Kay

No comments:

Post a Comment