Thursday, March 30, 2017

Gone Junkin'

Me and my lovely Mama
One of the downfalls in adulthood is the fact that your weekends are rarely ever restful. Or, at least, mine aren’t. If you know me at all, you know I’m very much a creature of habit. Every Sunday, I dedicate to doing laundry. Rarely will I do a load of laundry mid-week, I will wait until Sunday, and I will do all of the Sheffield laundry. Don’t hit me up to do something spur of the moment on Sunday…because ain’t nobody got time for that.

But this post isn’t about laundry. 

I’m finding that every single weekend, we end up having plans. Now, I like staying busy…don’t get me wrong. But lately, I’ve been feeling like we’ve had so many obligations, I was beginning to feel bogged down. It left me ready to throw my hands in the air and say “I just need a day. I just need a day to myself to do what I want to do. To relax, to unwind…I just need a day.”

Something my mom and I enjoy doing, and we don’t get to do it as frequently as we would like, is to go junkin’. Now, for those of you who aren’t familiar with the term, it’s basically to go to antique stores, to thrift stores, to find what you can find. Sometimes, you’ll spend the whole day and not find anything. And then sometimes, you’ll find the treasure that you’ve been looking for. Ex: I am ALWAYS on the lookout for a pewter pitcher.

I'm so disappointed in the glare on this photo.  I fell in love with this old phone.
But on the rare occasion that Mom and I are able to go…we typically head south on 19. We may end up stopping and turning around in Homosassa. Or we’ve even gone down, South of Hudson, just perusing all of the little shops.


Last week, I asked mom “Do we have anything next weekend?” (We’ve literally had something every weekend since the beginning of the year…sometimes having 3 or 4 things in a weekend). She didn’t think so…I quickly said “Then we’re going junkin’….I need to go junkin.’”


So this past Saturday, Mom and I loaded up, and headed South.  We went down as far as Port Richey.  We ate at "Catches," which was delicious.  We both had a Hawaiian Chicken Sandwich, that was covered in Thai Sweet and Sour Sauce and swiss cheese, with a pineapple ring on top.  It was delicious.



We found a few treasures:  A beautiful vintage apron, a pewter serving charger, a painted trifle bowl, and a few other things.  We stopped in Hudson, shopped a little bit in some shops.

Truthfully, more than the items that we found, or the shopping...it was just so nice to be able to spend a carefree day with my mama.

The wonderful Cynthia Kay

No comments:

Post a Comment