Friday, March 17, 2017

North Carolina/South Carolina Trip Part 3: Myrtle Beach, Charleston, and Fernandina


Today, I’m going to talk about the last leg of our North Carolina Trip…which is actually more about South Carolina and Florida.

Now, one of my bad habits is that I really like watching train-wreck TV. What do I mean, you ask? If a show looks like it’s going to be a complete train wreck…I have to watch it. If you have ever seen a commercial come on for a TV show and it looked like it was going to be a complete disaster, I have probably watched it. Honey Boo Boo, check. Sex Sent Me to The ER, check. My Strange Addiction, check.

A few years ago, a show came on about a trailer park in Myrtle Beach. Now, it was deemed “reality tv” but was probably very staged. However, I watched the three seasons and loved every minute of it.

Top: Myrtle Beach Ferris Wheel.  Bottom: Myrtle Beach
I tell you that, to tell you this…I wanted to go to Myrtle Beach. No, not to visit the trailer park, but to just say that I had been there…and to take a picture of the ferris wheel. So, Myrtle Beach was the next stop on our trip.

Pictures of the river at Monck's Corner, SC
Have y’all ever heard of a little town called Monck’s Corner in South Carolina? No? Well, the canoe/swan scene of The Notebook was filmed at Cypress Gardens in Monck’s Corner. Much to my dismay, the Gardens were closed at that time due to flooding. Also, fun fact, the swans were actually brought in for the film. However, it was not a wasted trip, I did get some photos of the river nearby.

Some of the beauty around Charleston, SC
Onward we went towards Charleston. If you have never been to Charleston, you’d better jot it down on your Bucket List. I know that many folks around here might gasp, but I actually prefer Charleston to Savannah (although I do love Savannah, too!). The carriage rides, the history, all of the beautiful gates and iron work on the houses, Battery Park, shopping on King street, eating brunch at Poogan’s Porch? Oh. My. Word. I love it.

Poogan's Porch
Poogan’s Porch deserves its own little plug. This is a must for all of you foodies out there. Mrs. Cindy Jo suggested this place to us upon our first visit to Charleston, and we have gone every time we’ve visited. They offer brunch on the weekends, and although they have fish and grits and shrimp and grits, that is lost on us.

Poogan's Porch Chicken and Waffles
We are there for the chicken and waffles. They have a Blueberry Texas Pete Maple Syrup….it’s sweet, it packs some heat…it is incredible. It’s located on Queen Street.

Rheba and Cynthia Kay on the trolley
It was close to Christmas, so shopping down King Street was a must. Also down King Street is the old theater…perhaps you will remember. It was also featured in a scene in the Notebook. The market was also so very nice. There are vendors set up every day; and you can find everything from scarves to paintings.


We had previously taken a trolley tour a few years back. Because of where I was seated, I had a difficult time taking photos. It seemed all of the attractions were on the opposite side, with people in the way. This time, we decided to take a Carriage ride. I figured with the carriage being open, it would make for better photos.

The waterfront at Beaufort, SC
After leaving Charleston, we made a brief stop in Beaufort. Beaufort is a beautiful town. The waterfront area is so nice; they have set up swings along a section of it. The old homes and tree-lined streets always beckon to me.

We chose to end our trip at one of our favorite places: Fernandina. We typically stay in Yulee, and just drive into Fernandina. It’s only a few miles outside of Fernandina, but the hotel cost drops dramatically. There is also a nice shopping area in Yulee.

The Sheffield Girls at Barbara Jean's
We spent the night in Yulee, and drove into Fernandina the next day…our first stop being the beloved Barbara Jean’s. Then, we drove to the historic area, and went shopping. Bijoux Amelia, Twisted Sisters, the little bookstore, and the chocolate shop are all favorites of ours.

When we made it home that afternoon, after nearly 11 days of traveling, we were tired…and Karter Lee was one happy camper.

No comments:

Post a Comment