Sunday, January 7, 2018

Sunday Obsession: Antique Jewelry


I have a bit of an obsession with antique jewelry. 

In my early twenties, I was obsessed with crosses. Margaret, my adopted grandma, my Hannie’s mom, bought me two incredibly beautiful crosses. One was silver filigree. One was a gold and garnet replica of a cross necklace that was worn by Jackie Kennedy. 

Then, during the aftermath of my dad passing away, I threw myself into the Twilight Saga. I had never read any of the books or watched any of the movies up until that point. But it created such an awesome distraction during that time in my life. I grew obsessed with finding a ring from the early 1900s. Finally, after six months of searching, I found the ring of my dreams on a New York antique jeweler’s website. Emerald and diamonds. Made around 1910. The thought that this ring has been worn for over a hundred years, is kind of incredible to me. I wonder about the women who have worn it. Honestly, I’m certain that if I were to ever get married or engaged, that ring would mean a lot to me. But I won’t lie, I would have a hard time not wanting to wear this one frequently still. I just love it.

Now, I am finding myself a wee bit obsessed with antique lockets. I love ornate lockets, full of filigree and details and stones, on long chains. They are just so beautiful to me.

In some ways, I live in the era that I need to. This sassy mouth? Puh-lease. Lord knows, I would’ve been stoned, burned at the stake, or imprisoned, had I been born in a different era. But I can surely appreciate the jewelry from days gone by.

No comments:

Post a Comment