Thursday, January 11, 2018

Ponytails and Poh-Ta-Bots

Image found on Pinterest.
Walking through the door, I hear her laughter and my heart melts.

I can’t even see her yet, as I’m walking through the hallway, and I say “I hear it’s somebody’s birthday!” She comes running around the corner, “Aunt Leeta! It’s mine! It’s mine!” She hugs my legs as tight as she can.

She eyes the gift bag that I’m holding. “Is zat for me?” She asks shyly. 

“Yes ma’am.” I say and hand it to her.

In a moment the tissue paper is flying, unveiling her presents. 

“What do you say, baby?” her mom asks her.

“Tank you, Aunt Leeta!” She’s mesmerized by the colorful, floral mini purse I’ve gotten her.
“This way you can store all of your stuff…all your money, and your chapsticks!” I say. She is all the time wanting to put on her “ipp-sticks.”

She sees the hairbows. “Dey have poh-ta-bots!” Polka dots. She is so excited. If only everyone was this excited over the small things. We could learn a lot from a two year-old.

“Do my hair, Aunt Leeta?”

We settle down in the living room. I brush her hair as she watches Dora. 

“I want a bow here. And here. And here. And here.” 

“Baby, you’re going to run out of hair!” I say. She laughs like it’s the funniest thing she’s ever heard.

I sit there, brushing her hair and putting “poh-ta-bot” bows in it. I can’t help but wish I could hit pause in this moment full of pony tails, poh-ta-bots, and ipp-sticks.

No comments:

Post a Comment