Monday, May 1, 2017

Mama Says Monday: Papa Cecil

Cecil Jackson Sheffield
(or "Papa Cecil" or the original "Cornbread")
So, recently I came across a picture of my father-in-law. It was when he was young and he looks quite dapper in it. I am sure Aleta had seen it before, but she didn’t remember it. It’s sad, but neither of my girls had grandpas. My dad died two years before Aleta was born. Jackie’s father died a month and a half before she was born. Actually, my grandfather was still alive until Aleta was about two, but she doesn’t remember him. I have one picture of him holding her as a baby that is very special to me. We recently came across that picture also. But this is supposed to be about “Papa Cecil.”

Jackie’s dad was a special man. He was very charismatic. Generally, in a group of people, you would find Papa Cecil in the center, relating some story, entertaining everyone. Before Jackie and I got married, my family had a hunting camp down the road from Cedar Key. My first introduction to Papa Cecil was when he came to the camp. We camped next to Murray Read’s camp. We all sat around, and he entertained us with his tales. He had a wonderful sense of humor. He kept me laughing.

I was destined to become his favorite daughter-in-law when I married his only son. Of course, I could have been his least favorite also, since I was his only one. But I always felt he loved me. He helped us as we were building our house. His health was not so good, so he came and worked as long as he felt like it, then would go home. He did all the electrical work in my house. I explained to him that I had grown up in a house that basically had one outlet in each room. I think our kitchen had three. I remember mama’s stove had an outlet on top, which is where we plugged our mixer. I don’t think stoves come with outlets anymore. Anyway, Papa Cecil knew I wanted enough outlets that I didn’t have to run an extension cord. So, he had me mark on the walls everywhere I wanted an outlet. I think I remember he said I had 66 outlets in my home. I even had one in the back of the pantry, just in case I needed it. Oddly enough, I still have a couple of extension cords in my house, and I think of him when I use them.

My father-in-law was a hard working man. When his children were small, he worked a day job, then did odd jobs at night; often coming home after his children were in bed. He was called on to do electrical work, to repair things, etc. One thing I especially remember is that he told me that a lot of times when a washer would quit working, he would go and remove the agitator and find a piece of clothing under it. It was generally a small piece like socks or underwear. After some of his stories, I just knew I didn’t want my washer to quit and have a repairman find a pair of underwear under the agitator. So, I learned how to lift it to check under it myself.

So when I became pregnant, I think he was pleased. His older two daughters had both had children, but I think that he thought this would be the child that would carry on the Sheffield name. He really thought this would be a boy. He said I should name it Cecil Ercelle, which would cover both him and my father. I always felt that it would be a girl and I told him so. I never had a sonogram with that pregnancy. When he was in the hospital the last time, he was telling me again what to name this child. I told him once again that I really thought it was going to be a girl. He decided that I could name it Cecilia then. I really did not like that name and decided that I couldn’t do that to a child. But later, my sister-in-law had a daughter and named her Ceciley. I do like that name, but didn’t think of it at the time.

My father-in-law died on Father’s day, 1986. I think it was June 16th. My daughter was born July 31st that year. She was born on my mother-in-law’s birthday. I really wish both my children could have known their Papa Cecil. He would have loved them and they would have loved him.
I was so blessed with such wonderful in-laws, with being part of their family. Not everyone is as lucky to have such a relationship. Because of them, their son became the man that he was, and I was blessed to be married to him.

1 comment:

  1. It is so hard when you don't get to know your grandparents. They are so special.

    ReplyDelete