Sunday, May 14, 2017

Celebrating Cynthia Kay

Photo Credit: Jennifer Lazos
I have posted so very much over the years about my Daddy and what a character he was. And Lord knows, he surely was. But truth be told, my Mama is a character in her own right.

A lot of times, she may come off and shy or reserved, especially if she’s not familiar with you. However, get to know her, and you will soon learn that she is constantly making little quips that will keep you in stitches. There are many nights in the Sheffield household, where we are just sit in the living room telling stories. She is constantly making us laugh…And you’d better listen close, because she is known for making the wittiest comment at the very best moment.

Rheba and I are proud when we can see that we’re rubbing off on her a bit. Earlier this year, while she was driving us around in Gainesville, she hit a pothole the size of a crater. Rheba and I busted out laughing…because riding with Cynthia Kay is always an adventure. To which she replied as calmly as could be “Haters gonna hate.”  

photo credit: Jennifer Lazos
Since I have begun posting some of her funny comments and stories online, she has become a bit of a small town celebrity. She has had people come up to her in the Walmart and tell her how funny she is. She attended a Premiere party and had no idea who the hostess was (Jenni) who knew all about her. I’ll be honest, I don’t think she quite knows what to do with herself now that she’s a celebrity and all. Often times, she’ll say “You can’t believe everything that you read.” She’s being shy…or not wanting to admit that she said the thing that she said.

Even more than being a comedian, my mom is a saint. She is most certainly my moral compass many days. I’ll say something not so nice and she’ll say “Aleta…” And Lord only knows, she puts up with mine and Rheba’s shenanigans on a daily basis. Yes, she’s a saint.

Photo Credit: Charon Croft
We had a scare a few years back, when my mama battled breast cancer. To this day, I am on pins and needles, and almost holding my breath every time she has an annual checkup. If I’m honest, that put into perspective how fragile life could be. God knew that I needed this lesson…Just shy of two years later, I lost my dad. Now, it’s a priority to spend time as much time with my mom as I possibly can. I cherish that time together.

As we spend this day celebrating mothers: If your mother lives near you, I urge you to go and visit her. If you live away from your mother, give her a call. And if your mother is celebrating in heaven, I urge you not to think of today as a sad day, but rather, a day to celebrate her life, and relish in the memories that you made with her.

Photo Credit: Jennifer Lazos
 

1 comment: