Thursday, February 16, 2017

Stacey Ellison

Stacey Ellison
There are few people that I can directly attribute with helping bring me out of my shell. I used to be a bit of a wallflower. Timid, reserved, and quiet. Then, somewhere around the latter half of my teenage years, something just changed. I found my voice and began changing into the very outspoken, outgoing person that I am today.

Stacey Ellison played a big part in that. As I sit writing this, my memory fails me, and I cannot remember the exact year she became our 4-H agent in Levy County. At this moment, I can’t remember if it was my last year of Middle School, or my Freshman year of High School. With Stacey as our fearless leader: she encouraged us to find our voice; she encouraged us to participate in things that we wouldn’t normally join in; she challenged us to set goals and work towards achieving them.

Many people, especially in this area, do not realize how many opportunities there are in 4-H. It is so much more than just showing a steer at the Suwannee River Fair. Under Stacey’s leadership, I participated in 4-H Congress several years; I attended 4-H Legislature two years, first as a Lobbyist, and as a Representative the following year; I attended the Centennial Celebration for 4-H in St. Augustine; I went and gave a demonstration at National Convention in Louisville, Kentucky; and held several officer positions at both County and District level in 4-H, including being our District 4-H President my Senior year.

Why tell you all of this? You see, many of these things I would not have participated in or experienced had it not been for Stacey. As an adult, I have spoken frequently about my experiences in 4-H. Stacey Ellison played a huge role into molding me into who I am today. I will forever be grateful for that.

Having Stacey on my Facebook is an absolute delight. I look forward to her posts about “what Nicholas has said now,” her photos of Nicholas and Meredith, and Lord, let me not forget the oh-so-fashionable turkey that she owns. I laugh every time I see one of her posts pop up in my newsfeed. One of the recent posts that had me in stitches was about her son, who is six, being an avid watcher of HGTV, who had begun pointing out flaws in their home.

To know Stacey is to love her. She has such a warm, welcoming spirit about her. She is hilarious, determined, curious, outspoken…but I think if one word described her the best, it would be “leader.” Speaking as one of her former 4-H’ers, I am far better for having known Mrs. Stacey Ellison.

I hope you will enjoy her interview.
Favorite childhood memory.

I was a PBS junkie as a kid. Now remember, this was before the existence of widespread children’s television 24/7; so, I gorged on educational television. One of my particular favorite programs was a documentary on acid rain, which I watched at age 5. Apparently, and according to my mother, I was so enraptured by the show and the topic that I proceeded to educate my entire 1st grade class on the topic. This predictably led to a bunch of really freaked out 1st graders, and my mom promptly being called to take me home early for the day. I think she got me ice cream after that.

What book/movie character do you most relate to?

Hard question! Alice in Wonderland has always resonated with me. When I was a child, I think it was because she was blonde, and since Barbie was blonde, I thought I should be too. However, as an adult I consider curiosity as one of my defining personality traits. I like to understand ideas, philosophies, but, most of all, people. I am simply fascinated in trying to understand how and why people behave in varying ways.


Stacey (r) back in her theater days.
Tell me about your unexpected talents. 

Once upon a time I was a community theatre geek. I love theatre, and I love performing…Which is interesting because I really don’t enjoy people looking at me...This is what eventually led to my husband and I practically eloping to get married. I do enjoy acting as someone else though. My most interesting role was that of an early 19th century Russian madam. Yes, madam…as in "keeper of the brothel." I even won an award for that role! I assure you it was quite G-rated though.


You have traveled quite a bit, what has been your coolest trip.


Honestly, my coolest trip was my first big trip, as I think it really helped me to define who I am. When I was a senior in high school I was an exchange student to Simferopol, Ukraine (which is now part of Russia again). I didn’t speak the language (save a few choice phrases like, “I have diarrhea”), and I stayed with a host family. I learned so much both about the general goodness and kindness of humanity and about myself, my character, and my resiliency.


In what ways was Ukraine different?  How was it the same?

A difference would be the school I attended in the Ukraine ran a "school store" which sold liquor. Not for the students!  But to raise money for the school from local citizens.  In ways it was the same: The biggest lesson I've learned in all my travels sounds cliche, but it's true: People really are way more alike than they are different.

What do you consider your greatest accomplishment in your career?


I’m so fortunate in that I get to basically do the dream job I’ve had since I was 12 years-old. In working with 4-H, I literally get to change young people’s lives and that’s been my greatest accomplishment! I’ve worked with 4-H’ers from all walks of life anywhere from those who’ve gone on to prison and those who have gone on to become Miss America (**Author's note:  No lie, one of Stacey's former 4H'ers was Betty Cantrell, Miss America 2016**), and I’ve learned something from all of them (Including the one who is the author of this blog). It’s just an amazing feeling to know you were even a small piece of the lives of so many young people.

Stacey...being Stacey :)
If you could give one piece of advice to young people, what it be.

The same advice I give my personal child:  “It’s ok to be scared. It’s not ok to avoid doing the thing that scares you.”


Stacey's turkey...and yes, that is a sequin tube top.
What is the funniest thing you have experienced as a mom?

I don’t know that there’s been any one moment, but a lot of little moments that focus on the fact that Nicholas is an avid storyteller with a very free mouth. A common refrain among his teachers has been, “Nicholas is so funny and he tells the MOST INTERESTING stories about your family.” Grrrrrrrrrreat. I usually end by explaining to them he’s also a compulsive liar and not to be trusted.


Nicholas
Pearls of Wisdom from Nicholas.

So I asked him this…as I didn’t want to misquote, and he spend years in therapy blaming me. His response was, “Be a good leader.” I support this and agree.


Meredith
Tell me about Meredith.

First, let me tell you that I know every ginger joke that exists...so of course I gave birth to a child who, thus far, appears to be a redhead. Jokes aside--she’s great. She’s six months old, I really believe temperament and personality present themselves early. Already she just seems to be easy going, curious, and just generally nothing like her brother. Oh, her favorite activities at this point also seem to be throwing empty bottles in anger (she really likes her bottles) and vomiting on family and friends.


Nicholas, Meredith, and Stacey
What are some things you are looking forward to in the future?

People don’t believe this about me, but I don’t really have grandiose plans when it comes to the “future.” I prefer small projects in which the end is in sight. For instance, right now I’m focused on finishing my PhD, and I’d really love to accomplish my New Year’s resolution of reading 100 books in 2017. Beyond that, I just want to enjoy my family and friends, be a good parent, and just generally make the world a better place through my work.


#SmallTownFamous #Interview #4H

5 comments: